I am a writer. Whether I am working on a novel, blogging, or writing a review, putting words on paper is my passion. But to get those words on paper, they first have to appear on the computer screen. It used to be that the only way to get them there was to type away until my fingers were sore and my eyes were blurry.
Now with MacSpeech Dictate I have finally found relief. Using voice-to-text technology, MacSpeech Dictate allows me to create documents with my voice rather than typing. Not only do my fingers and eyes get a rest, but I am actually more productive.
MacSpeech Dictate is a highly sophisticated piece of software so I really didn’t expect to be up and running as quickly as MacSpeech promised. Easy-to-follow instructions makes installation a breeze. Everything you need is right in the box. Just plug the included noise canceling microphone into the USB adapter and then plug the adapter into your computer. Next, insert the MacSpeech Dictate Application Disc and just as with any other “Made for Mac” software, simply drag and drop the MacSpeech Dictate icon to your Applications folder. When you launch MacSpeech Dictate for the first time, it will prompt you to insert the Data Disc which will install additional files and complete the installation. Then you can register your product and create your first profile. MacSpeech Dictate walks you through the necessary steps to create your first profile by helping you select your microphone settings and then move on to the initial voice training session.
Training is easy. MacSpeech displays several passages for you to read out loud using your microphone headset. If the program doesn’t understand a word or or series of words, it will ask you to read it again. It will then “learn” from how you read the word or passage. When you reach a point where MacSpeech can identify all the words from the passages, your training session will be over. My training session took just under five minutes and then I was up and running with the ability to create documents using only my voice.
Here are a few things I discovered about MacSpeech Dictate:
- First, the accuracy of MacSpeech Dictate is simply amazing. Watching the words appear on the screen as I speak is pure joy.
- With MacSpeech Dictate you are able to create different profiles for different times of day or different environments.
- I love that while I am composing, I have freedom to move around a bit, gaze out the window, or pet my dog Lucy without interrupting the flow of words hitting the screen.
- When blogging, I like to use my casual voice. MacSpeech Dictate lets me write the way I speak. It just feels natural.
- Learning to speak punctuation really wasn’t as difficult as I thought it would be. Period!
- With Spelling Mode, I can spell names or use acronyms that might not be included in the MacSpeech vocabulary. I can even add words to the Vocabulary Editor.
- Jumping around in my document is easy with the “move” command which allows me to maneuver the cursor with my voice.
- MacSpeech Dictate is built for Mac so it is compatible with all my favorite programs like Microsoft Word, iChat, and MacJournal. I can even compose emails with MacSpeech Dictate.
MacSpeech Dictate lived up to my expectations and I am pleased to recommend it to all Mac users. Whether you are writing a novel, preparing a presentation for the office, working on your thesis, or blogging for entertainment or profit, MacSpeech Dictate is sure to enhance your writing experience. In addition, MacSpeech Dictate is just plain fun!
For more information, please visit MacSpeech Dictate online.
This reviewer is not compensated for purchases made from links in this review.
Sample product(s) were provided to this reviewer.