Penny Fiction: A Flash Fiction Writing Competition
Theme: Six Word Stories and Seriously Good Writing
Publication Date: Spring 2013 issue of From the Depths
Deadline: February 28, 2013
“For sale: baby shoes, never worn.”
-Ernest Hemingway (according to literary legend)
In honor of Hemingway’s original six word story, Haunted Waters Press editor, Penny Dreadful, is selecting exceptionally small works of flash fiction to be showcased in Penny Fiction, a regular feature of the literary journal, From the Depths. Extra points will be awarded for entries with a connection to the Spring 2013 theme, and for those writers who adhere to the rules. Not really. There are no points. Just read the contest rules and impress Penny with your ability to follow instructions.
Contest Rules for the Spring 2013 competition:
- Entries accepted by email only. (Link to submission details.)
- Email Subject: Penny Fiction Spring 2013
- Submit a short story told in exactly six words.
- Previously unpublished works only.
- Type your entry in the body of the email.
- One entry per email.
- Multiple entries okay. One is fine. Four is cool. Twenty is borderline obnoxious.
- Include one interesting fact about yourself in under 13 words. No cut ‘n paste author bios. Undertakers and cat herders earn extra points. If we do not find you interesting, we reserve the right to make you appear more interesting.
- No attachments, cover letters, links, or long lists of previously published work. (Boring!)
- Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter. (Not required, but it can’t hurt. But seriously, Penny needs to feel the love.)
- Penny Fiction is a “for the love of the flash” project. Authors receive exposure only, no monetary payment. Not even a penny.
- Haunted Waters Press holds electronic and print publishing rights for ninety days following publication, archival rights forever. Copyright remains with the author.
- Entry is taken to be acceptance of these conditions and rules, winning authors will sign an Author’s Agreement. Yay for publishing contracts!
Full submission details with a link to Penny’s email can be found on the Haunted Waters Press Submissions page. Cheers!