“For sale: baby shoes, never worn.”
-Ernest Hemingway (according to literary legend)
In honor of Hemingway’s original six word story, Haunted Waters Press editor, Penny Dreadful, is selecting exceptionally small works of flash fiction to be showcased in Penny Fiction, a regular feature of the literary journal, From the Depths.
As many of you are painfully aware, Penny is a stickler for the rules! She has been known to get snippy with those who break the email submission guidelines. However, she has agreed to allow visitors of Creative Procrastination to submit their entries here. For a limited time only! I must have caught her on a good day! Or perhaps it was the promise of “likes” for her newly created Editor’s Page on Facebook. (hint hint) So, before she changes her mind–she can be quite unpredictable–please submit your six word story entries in the comments section below. Penny will be dropping by to read your entries. (I am certain she will be counting her Facebook likes as well!) Deadline is February 28th!
Here are the abbreviated Penny Fiction/Creative Procrastination submission guidelines:
- Submit your original, unpublished six word story as a comment below.
- Multiple entries okay. One is fine. Four is cool. Twenty is borderline obnoxious.
- Include one interesting fact about yourself in under 13 words. No cut ‘n paste author bios. Undertakers and cat herders earn extra points. If we do not find you interesting, we reserve the right to make you appear more interesting.
- Leave your Twitter handle, blog link or subscribe to the comments so Penny can contact you if your story is accepted.
- Like Haunted Waters Press and Penny Dreadful on Facebook and follow us on Twitter: @Haunted_Waters and @PennyFiction (Not required, but it can’t hurt. But seriously, Penny needs to feel the love.)
***The fine print: Penny Fiction is a “for the love of the flash” project. Authors receive exposure only, no monetary payment. Not even a penny. Haunted Waters Press holds electronic and print publishing rights for ninety days following publication, archival rights forever. Copyright remains with the author. Entry is taken to be acceptance of these conditions and rules, winning authors will sign an Author’s Agreement. Yay for publishing contracts! To submit your entry direct to Penny Dreadful, full submission details with a link to Penny’s email can be found on the Haunted Waters Press Submissions page.